Tuesday 14 July 2015

2015 already.....Well, time flys doesn't it?

Sunset in Keyhaven
If you are looking at this Blog to learn more about Shillings, perhaps to buy one or have one made, take a look at the earliest postings where you will find lots of build photos and other details.

I never intended this Blog to be a blow-by-blow account of everything I do with my Willow Bay Shilling "Margherita", but I am a bit ashamed of one post per year!.  

I keep a diary (not really a log) of what I do and, to date I have spent over 150 nights on board since 2008 and a similar number of days sailing.  I have learned to live with and love little Margherita. she does everything well and is much admired.  Any limitations are mainly down to her modest size, but as I mostly sail on my own, she works for me!

In summary, 2014 was a good season for me with several trips to the Solent for Old Gaffer Association events, and lots of local trips too.  2015 has started well with another successful YOGAFF at Yarmouth, although I spent rather longer there than planned due to ferocious Westerly winds.  When I did sail back to Poole it was in the company of several Yarmouth 23s, which quickly fell behind in my wake, and a friend in a lovely Yachting World 5 ton cutter with which I was neck and neck all the way to Poole.  Margherita is fast when you have a decent breeze and calm(ish) seas.



Here are a few pictures from YOGAFF 2015.


Entered in the race this year was the wonderful Mariquita, designed by William Fife the third. She rather dwarfed all of the usual gaffers. There was the usual gaffer competitions as well, with Gaffer's Log yacht racing, broom pole jousting and scratch dinghy sailing. Lots of fun.








Nutmeg - a David Moss Sea Otter 18 Canoe Yawl




And then the wind got up and it rained! - so I stayed put for four more days!

Sailing Home to Poole - taken from the YW 5 Tonner "Joelle"






No comments:

Post a Comment