Tuesday 28 November 2017

Some design details of Margherita

I have been asked how I stow my anchor on the foredeck.  Here are some pictures of what I came up with. The lashing goes through two eyes screwed to the foredeck.  The anchor holds well, with 2m of chain and rope


Also, I got Phil Swift to alter the cockpit stowage.  Instead of small lockers with lids, I asked for lidless lockers with enough room to stow a 12litre fuel tank on the engine side and warps and fenders on the other.  Works a treat and allows easy quick access.  I also added two Sampson posts to the cockpit rear for mooring up etc.  Very useful. Other shillings have the aft Henderson hatch cover in the deck.  I thought this to be both ugly and impractical so I have it in the rear cockpit bulkhead.  looks better and allows easier access to spare warps and fenders etc. stowed inside.















8 comments:

  1. All these features are excellent - especially the anchor stowage - helps keep the deck undamaged as well as the skippers toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently building a Shilling, and once I complete the interior will be starting on the deck and coachroof. Mast tabernacle, bowsprit hold-down and chainplates are currently being fabricated locally in stainless steel, but I haven't found a source for opening portlights that would be appropriate to the thin plywood (3/8") on the sides of the coachroof. Where did you get your stainless portlights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, I did not spot your post. The portlights are chrome plated brass and were supplied by a marine fittings firm in UK called Timage. They were surprisingly cheap but not brilliantly made. As far as I am aware they don't sell them any more.

      Delete
  3. I would also be very interested in the details of your bilge pump. I think a Whale Compac could be fitted on the starboard side of the bridgedeck, oriented vertically with a removeable handle, to vent either through the starboard hull side, or into the c/b case as per the plans. Would you happen to have photos of how your boat is rigged?

    Thanks!

    Bruce Bolster, Clandeboye, Manitoba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for pics. I have a whale pump but it is mounted in the cockpit sole not on the bulkhead as with other shillings. I thought it ugly there. In truth I hardly use it. For small amounts of water a bucket and sponge is ok. For big volumes (I laid her almost flat once and flooded the cockpit ) the bucket and adrenalin did a faster job than the pump would have.I

      Delete
    2. Bruce. I have posted some pics and info on the pump and portlights. I have hundreds of pics of the build, if you want any more detail please ask. Jeremy

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing useful information about anchor stowage.
    Please visit our website for more marine hardware products boat maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an amazing blog about yacht I really liked the blog. Thanks for it. Keep sharing here boat Hardware everything about boat you can Buy from our store.

    ReplyDelete